Site Tour, Workshops and Master Class Day: Wednesday, October 16, 2019
8:30 am - 8:45 am Registration for Site Tours and Masterclass
8:45 am - 5:00 pm Sonoco Thermosafe Master Class: Certification Program- Life-Cycle Development of Temperature Assurance Packaging (TAP)
The certification program is a one-day, interactive training course designed to guide participants through the process of developing Temperature Assurance Packaging (TAP) solutions from beginning to end. Topics to be explored include: regulations, transportation/logistics, ambient profiles, operations, and package design. The course is conducted by a diverse team of industry experts who will provide handson instruction with a case-study based learning environment.
Certified Professionals will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of temperature assurance packaging
- Evaluate different solutions to determine what best meets the needs of their company
- Guide the implementation of temperature assurance packaging solutions within your organization
- Grasp the key processes, protocols and techniques involved in designing temperature-controlled packaging
As a precursor to the Professional Course, you will be provided access to the online “Fundamentals” course. This self-paced course is designed to ensure participants develop a solid foundation and understanding of the key elements associated with temperature assurance packaging. At the conference, participants will build upon the knowledge they gained during the “Fundamentals” course as a progression into the “Professional” course. All participants completing courses will be awarded with a Certificate of Completion.
GEOFFREY GLAUSERSenior Consultant Supply Chain
BEN VANDERPLASGlobal Product Manager
FRANK BUTCHDirector of Engineering
BILL FLAHERTYEngineering Team Lead
SITE TOURS8:45 am - 1:00 pm Site Tour A: Cold Chain Technologies
Cold Chain Technologies is a leading provider of reusable and single-use thermal packaging solutions supporting the distribution of temperature-sensitive shipments around the globe.
Don’t miss this opportunity to visit the ISO 9001:2015 Certified, Massachusetts manufacturing facility and global headquarters. The guided tour of the certified facility will include: thermal testing lab, manufacturing operation and hands-on overview of the shipping systems
By attending the tour you will gain:
- An understanding of the design, testing and manufacturing capabilities required for an organization to provide effective thermal packaging solutions and supply these on a sufficient scale to support global cold chain distribution of health care products.
- An understanding of the integrated product and logistics services required to provide just-in-time delivery of ready-to-load, reusable parcel and pallet shipping solutions.
- An opportunity to interact with our thermal engineers and subject matter experts to learn and exchange best practices in cold chain supply and distribution
ANTHONY (TJ) RIZZOSenior Vice President
Cold Chain Technologies
JOSEPH CONSIGLIODirector of Marketing
Cold Chain Technologies
SITE TOURS8:45 am - 1:00 pm Site Tour B: Boston Port
MassPort owns and operates three airports—Logan International Airport, Hanscom Field, and Worcester Regional Airport—and public terminals in the Port of Boston including Flynn Cruiseport Boston and Conley Terminal. This site tour will include a visit to Port of Boston’s Conley Terminal. The world’s leading container lines ship through the port, moving nearly 1.5 million metric tons of cargo each year. By attending the tour you will understand:
- The potential for ocean freight and sea freight logistics and the infrastructure to support this.
- Discover the scope for pharma ocean freight
- Discuss at what point, and when, you think that modal shift shift from air to sea will stabilize
LAUREN GLEASONDeputy Port Director, Business Development
MassPort (Massachusetts Port Authority)
KEVIN LAFFEYDirector of Cargo Business
MassPort (Massachusetts Port Authority)
WORKSHOP A1:00 pm - 3:00 pm Reducing Total Cost of Ownership for your Cold Chain through Strategic Partnerships
Eli Lilly partners with AeroSafe Global to Reduce their Cold Chain Total Cost of Ownership
When considering a cold chain packaging partner, Eli Lilly demonstrates how including operations, warehouse, logistics and compliance costs in the Total Cost of Ownership results is a more responsible approach.
In utilizing AeroSafe Global’s “Cold Chain as a Service”, Eli Lilly was able to benefit from the highest performing solutions while simultaneously reducing costs and improving sustainability.
- Challenges with previous shipper system
- Qualification and selection process for new shipping systems
- Quantify significant cost savings derived from multiple operational efficiencies
- Post implementation results
- Group exercise: Work with your group to determine and rank certain risks for given scenarios to better understand the Total Cost of Ownership
CHRISTOPHER C. LYONSConsultant Engineer
Eli Lilly and Company
MIKE MONDOVP, Sales
WORKSHOP B1:00 pm - 3:00 pm Achieving Visibility, Automation and Control in End-to-End Temperature Control Distribution
As supply chains continue to evolve with more direct-to distribution models, additional outsourcing partners, clinical trials in remote regions and regulators are asking for complete control evidence from API to production to last miles – what do you do? This workshop will examine different company approaches to gaining that visibility using contactless monitoring, advanced data management workflows and data analytics.
- Evaluating types of data that may, or may not, be useful for certain products, lanes or operations
- Working in cloud-based data management system across global sites to achieve visibility
- Managing stability data throughout the supply chain to verify fit for use using a stability budget
- Challenges at destinations sites. Exploring contactless real-time monitoring, vs. GSM devices vs. USB devices
- The effects of human error on data management – how to correct mistakes without compromising compliance and data integrity
- How to gain control in the Last miles in commercial and clinical supply chains
- Turning all data points post shipment into actionable business intelligence
JEROEN VAN LOOKey Account Manager West
COLLEEN C. SHELDONKey Account Manager East
WORKSHOP C3:00 pm - 5:00 pm Stability Monitoring: Technology Innovation & Stability Budgeting in the Temperature Controlled Life Science Supply Chain
Compared to manufacturing, packaging and storage, the hazards during transportation have the potential for bigger impact due to physical product handling, changing ambient conditions, handovers to other parties and uncontrolled delays. This workshop will walk through the supply chain, complex as it is, to identify areas to reduce and simplify while considering new technology for automation
In this session discover how to:
- Best use the stability budget to allocate time out of storage to each supply chain partner for the manufacturing, packaging, storage and distribution of (bio)pharmaceutical products.
- Manage valuable temperature, shipment and stability data to improve your quality distribution operations
- Prevent product discard in cases of temperature excursions
- Offer higher patient safety assurance
WORKSHOP D3:00 pm - 5:00 pm Looking Beyond the Cold Chain: Preparing your Supply for Increased Vigilance of CRT Products
With regulators across the globe becoming increasingly interested in how organizations are controlling the variables when distributing CRT/Ambient products, companies must re-assess their processes to ensure compliance. Even if total temperature monitoring is not required by regulators, it is crucial to show that you have strong processes in place to stay off their radar. Regulators want to see that you have your documentation in order for these products and have a full understanding of your transport process.
From this workshop you will walk away with insight on how to:
- Calculate accurate temperature profiles for ambient products and properly analyze data collected
- Understand the environment where your products will be traveling and how to best control the elements
- Define your routes through qualification & validation of shipping lanes and profiling using historical data
- Pinpoint the packaging required to seamlessly ship ambient products globally and where a more custom design is needed
- Discuss the global GDP landscape for CRT products and where your products get flagged more often